I have decided to teach my little niece the ways of the outdoors. This week has been spring break and has given me a little more time for family time. My little niece is 3 and is completely adorable. As most of you know, within the past 5 years I have become an outdoors fan! I have always liked the outdoors, but now I love to hike, backpack, and camp and do just about everything else.
So this past week I was over at my folks house fixing my car (I now know how to change a battery and head light) and decided to spend a little more time with my niece while I was there. Somehow we got on the topic of camping. I told her when it got warmer we would camp in the backyard. She said she didn't have a sleeping bag and that is where it all began. I always have my sleeping bags (yes 2) in my trunk. You never know what could happen and you need a warm blanket to help you survive. So we went out and got the 2 bags and took them into the house. I have to tell you I have a huge bag and then I have my backpacking bag (which just happens to be about a 6th the size as the other when all put away). So she saw my backpacking bag and says "this one is mine". Then we procede to get them out and I show her how to use them. We played in them, hid in them, and did just about everything to make the sleeping bag fun. Teach them when they are young right.
Then she wanted to see my tent. So again we went out to my car and got out my tent (yes I keep that in my trunk at all times too). We set it up in the family room and then watch "Enchanted" while still in it. It was a blast!!!!! Since she is a little, ok very scared of bugs, I have decided to start her with camping inside first. Once we have fun with that we can go to the backyard, and then where ever else her parents will let me take her. But one step at a time. I figure if I start her now she will want to go with me when she is older and I can be the favorite aunt who takes her camping and hiking! I guess we will see where this goes.
2 Month Update
11 years ago

2 comments:
I always loved camping, but the hiking thing made me sweaty and tired and you were never finished once you got there you still had to walk all the way back. I just didn't like that. Love you.
We always have a yearly campout in the backyard with my nieces. They love it and look forward to it. They are total outdoor girls!!
Post a Comment