Friday, July 1, 2011

Flat tire!!!

Tonight I was going to eat at one of my favorite places...Downtown Philly!  If you haven't been, you need to!  I mean right now.  Run, you wont regret it :)  Its on 10600s and Redwood Rd and is right across from Cafe Rio.  Yummy philly cheese steaks, mmm.   Getting back to the story, I was going with my friend Kim to DP and I got a flat tire.  The tire is beat, it has 2 significant holes in the side of it.  How this happened, I do not know!  Kim and I decided a wide mouthed boxed toothed snake attacked it.  Anyway... so we go eat and come back out to change the tire.  I get all the stuff ready and right when I am about to loosen the lug nuts 3 people offer to help.  The one couple had never changed a flat, but was willing to try, and the other was an older gentleman that took control.  We get everything looking great and what do you know, the tire wont come off of the wheel!  He starts pulling and pulling some more and nothing happens.  Another gentleman sees that we are working on the tire and comes over to help.  He starts pulling like none other and shaking my car like there is no tomorrow, and still nothing happens.  After about 5 minutes of this I tell them that I have road side assistance and that I would just call them.  I thanked them for their help, they wish me the best of luck and go on their way.  Then a young man comes up asking if I needed help, and I told him I was just going to call for road side assistance.  He mentioned he was a mechanic and that he thinks he might be able to help out.  So of course I said sure.  He starts kicking the tire but nothing happens.  He showed me that it was rusted together, which mind boggles me... I just had my tires rotated about 2000 miles ago.  He leaves after trying some more and I decide that before I call road side assistance that I would call Mr. Car Man aka my dad.  My parents come and my dad tries everything he knows and nothing is working. I call road side assistance and they send a truck to help.  Before the truck arrives 5 more people come to help, one being a mechanic.  They all try different things, but no, it doesn't come off.  Then by some brilliance my mom remembers my cousin Scott.  He lives 2 blocks away and has every tool known to man (I swear he does).  My dad calls him and asks him to bring a sledge hammer and some WD40.  Scott comes and is pounding my tire with a sledge hammer and after a few minutes it came off!!!!!  I call the truck and tell them I will no longer be needing their assistance, and my friend Kim and I leave the parking lot after being there for 1 hour (not including the eating time.  Just the tire adventure time :)  But the amazing thing is that not including my family at least 11 people tried to help and I would guess more like 20 offered.  The Human Race has hope my friends!!!!!  People are good!!!!!  I am so grateful for this fact :)  We hear all the time on the news how horrible things are, but this just shows that life is good.  That people are good.  That God loves me,  He sent so many people to my rescue.... so happy!!!!!

1 comment:

April said...

That is so fantastic! I would also say that good things come to good people. You are just the kind of person who helps out people in need, and it comes back around!